Keep the summer sizzle going with the best kid-friendly things to do in and around Houston this week from Monday, August 9 to Sunday, August 15, 2021.
This week, say farewell to some beloved Dr. Seuss characters, hop aboard an evening boat tour, get up-close with life-size dinosaurs, stock up at a back to school event, and much more.
Do you know an event that could make the list? Drop us a line at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Scroll below to find great things for kids and families happening in Houston from Monday, August 9 to Sunday, August 15, 2021.
Top 11 Things To Do for Kids & Families in Houston This Week
- Closing Week: Dr. Seuss Experience at George R. Brown Convention Center | Wednesday, August 11 through Sunday, August 15 – Catch your final chance to meet characters and explore the magical world of Dr. Seuss before it closes this weekend. At this imaginative, interactive, immersive exhibit, you’ll get a chance to ride on a carousel, meet the Cat in the Hat, get grumpy with the Grinch, and more. Tickets start at $23; free for ages under 2. Times vary.
- Summer Twilight Boat Tours on Buffalo Bayou | Wednesday, August 11 & Thursday, August 12 – Escape the summer heat as you glide along the Buffalo Bayou while on a 30-minute boat tour, checking out native plants and wildlife like herons, fish, turtles, and the occasional alligator. Tickets are $7; $5 for ages 4 to 12. Children under the age of 4 are not permitted on boat tours. Boats run from 5:30pm to 8:30pm.
- Children’s Storytime at CityPlace | Thursday, August 12 | FREE – Bring the kiddos to hear tales from characters like Tinker Bell and other fairy friends at CityPlace in Spring. 6pm.
- Bat Walk and Watch at Lost Lake Visitor Center | Thursday, August 12 | FREE – Stroll from Lost Lake Visitor Center at Buffalo Bayou Park to Waugh Drive Bridge with bat specialist Suzanne Jurek to see the bat colony up close. Tickets are $5 for ages 12 and up; free for ages under 12. 7:45pm to 9:15pm.
- Jurassic Quest at NRG Center | Friday, August 13 to Sunday, August 15 – Walk among the dinosaurs at this indoor event that sends visitors through the Cretaceous, Jurassic, and Triassic periods to get up close to realistic, true to life–sized, animatronic dinos. Plus, go fossil digging, enjoy baby dinosaur shows, and get into crafts, face painting, and much more. Tickets start at $19 for kids and adults; $33 for kids unlimited rides. Prices subject to change based on peak hours. Friday and Saturday, 9am to 8pm; Sunday 9am to 6pm.
- Silambam Houston presents Sharing Stories: Indian Dance, Theatre & Flamenco at Miller Outdoor Theatre | Friday, August 13 | FREE | Virtual Option – Split into 2 acts, this multi-faceted evening offers a cross-cultural conversation as Indian classical dance and Spanish folk traditions meet for a captivating, high-energy dance performance, followed by an original Indian dance-theater production, Chakryavyuh: Battle Against the Odds. This performance will be livestreamed on Miller Outdoor’s YouTube channel. Limited, free tickets are available for covered seating areas. Seating on the hill is open to the public. 8:30pm.
- Mayor’s Back to School Festival at NRG Yellow Lot | Saturday, August 14 | FREE – Get ready for the first day of school when Mayor Sylvester Turner, in partnership with Houston Food Bank and Shell, hands out 25,000 backpacks filled with basic school supplies, food, and personal protection equipment for students. This will be a drive-thru event. Free, but registration is required. 8am to 4pm, while supplies last.
- Family Day at Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig Museum | Saturday, August 14 – Every second Saturday of the month, Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig Museum in Galveston explores different themes through activities and experiments that demonstrate key aspects of the industry. This month, learn about the elasticity of polymers with the Needle Through a Balloon event. Tickets are $10; free for ages 18 and under with paid adult ticket. 10am to 3pm.
- Be Our Guest at Children’s Museum Houston | Saturday, August 14 – Bring the kiddos in your life out in their crowns and royal attire for a Disney-themed princess party featuring characters like Ariel, Jasmine, Tiana, and more. Included with general admission; $12 for ages 1 and up; free for ages under 1. 10am to 4pm.
- Free Comic Book Day at Participating Comic Book Stores | Saturday, August 14 | FREE – The annual Free Comic Book Day returns for 2021, offering comic books at no charge to anyone swinging through participating shops around the world. From superheroes and popular film and TV shows, to beloved video games and all-ages tales, there’s a book for everyone’s tastes. Times and locations vary.
- Summer with the Kids Around Houston | Ongoing – With only weeks of summer left for the kiddos, it’s time to head out to all corners of Houston and uncover the best entertainment and things to do for everyone in the family, from free and budget-friendly options to one-of-a-kind experiences. Check out our Summer guide for how to keep the kids, and yourselves, busy during the dog days of Summer.