Dine on delicious dishes and enjoy our picks for the top food and drink events taking place around Houston in August 2021.
This August sees the return of a citywide culinary favorite event, Houston Restaurant Weeks, which has raised over $16.6 million for the Houston Food Bank since its inception in 2003. That means you can spend the month wining and dining at your favorite local restaurants for a cause, plus partake in events from a Hawaiian-inspired tiki party and pig roast to a first-of-its-kind, community and chef-driven food festival.
Here are the ten tasty food and drink happenings to keep on your radar this month:
Top 9 Food & Drink Events/Offers in Houston This Month: August 2021
- Houston Restaurant Weeks | Sunday, August 1 through Monday, September 6 – The summer’s favorite charitable event is back, running for 37 days and, as always, raising some serious funds for the Houston Food Bank. This year’s Houston Restaurant Weeks features multi-course, prix fixe dine-in and to-go offerings via a stellar roster of restaurants, including returning favorites like B&B Butchers & Restaurant, Hugo’s, Lucille’s, and Maison Pucha Bistro, plus newbies from Fegen’s to the Nash. Look through the lineup and score your reservations to give and dine. Locations, prices, and times vary.
- Deli Month at Kenny & Ziggy’s | All month long – Kenny & Ziggy’s will be raising funds for Holocaust Museum Houston during August’s National Deli Month, offering a multi-choice, three-course menu during lunch and dinner for $38 plus tax and gratuity, and with 10% of each meal sold going to HMH.
- Enchiladas of the Month at Sylvia’s Enchilada Kitchen | All month long – Chef-owner Sylvia Casares is continuing her “Enchiladas of the Month” series with a creation that gives a nod to a famed South Texas ranch and town near her own birthplace in Brownsville. All throughout August, diners can dig into the Armstrong, housemade corn tortillas filled with carne guisada and topped with Sylvia’s famous gravy, cheddar cheese and onions. The plate comes with rice and beans or a Caesar salad for $17.50 plus tax and gratuity.
- Trill Burgers Pop-Up at Sticky’s Chicken | Sunday, August 8 (and other select dates) – Houston legend Bun B has announced the launch of Trill Burgers, a new smashburger concept that will debut with pop-ups at Sticky’s Chicken in Sawyer Yards. Get a preview of the concept’s thin, crispy-edged smashburgers at the first pop-up on Sunday, August 8 and follow @trillburgers for updates on future pop-ups. Seating is first-come, first-served. Noon.
- Luau & Tiki Party at Kirby Ice House | Saturday, August 21 – The popular patio bar will be hosting a Hawaiian-inspired evening, featuring a traditional luau and fire show with drums, song and dance, an island style buffet and pig roast, tropical drinks and refreshing Saint Arnold brews, and more. Tickets are $25 and include a complimentary lei, Malibu cocktail, Hawaiian shaved ice, a special photo, and access to the buffet and roasted pig. 4pm to 10pm.
- COMMUNE Food Festival at Heights House Hotel | Saturday, August 21 to Sunday, September 5 – Indie Chefs Community is bringing a first of its kind food festival to Houston. The two week–long COMMUNE food festival will feature more than 200 nationally acclaimed chefs for a lineup of epic events, and with an emphasis on giving back to the community and championing social justice causes, the fest will donate 50% of net proceeds of all sales from week one to Chefs Stopping AAPI Hate. Featured chefs include Top Chef alumni, as well as James Beard–winning and acclaimed chefs from around the continent, participating in events like TV Dinners with TV Chefs, the End Mass Incarceration Dinner Series, and Chefs Stopping AAPI Hate. Tickets run from $50 to $500 per event. Times vary.
- PlumpJack Collection Wine Dinner at Mastro’s | Tuesday, August 24 – Mastro’s Steakhouse in Uptown is teaming up with the PlumpJack Collection of Wineries for a nationwide winemaker dinner event to showcase the legendary wine portfolio. Expect a five-course menu including dishes like Bone Marrow topped with Alaska King Crab paired with the 2019 PlumpJack Reserve Chardonnay, and a Ribeye Steak with creamed spinach and mashed potatoes paired with a trio of 2018 PlumpJack Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, 2017 CADE Estate Cabernet Sauvignon and 2018 Odette Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. Tickets are $350 per person. 7pm to 10pm.
- Summer Backyard BBQ at Pinstripes | Friday, August 27 – Bocce, bowling, beer, and bbq are on the docket for Pinstripes’ last Summer Backyard BBQ of the season. Guests can enjoy a grilled feast of pesto chicken, bbq ribs, mini cheeseburgers, parmesan chips, mac & cheese, Brussels sprouts garden salad, watermelon, and cookies and brownies, plus brews from 8th Wonder. Tickets are $40 per person and sales will end the day before the event at 6pm. Doors open at 5pm.
- Brewsology Beer Fest at Houston Museum of Natural Science | Saturday, August 28 – This boozy beer and science hybrid will feature dozens of local craft breweries and cideries, with access throughout the museum and exhibits, beer samplings, brewery reps, food, and more. General admission is $50 and includes beer samples and museum access, with early access and VIP upgrades available. 7pm to 11pm.