Foods insecurity is an problem that impacts the lives of more than 1 million men and women living in southeast Texas. This September, starvation aid businesses like the Houston Foodstuff Lender, are operating to provide awareness to the public as a result of Starvation Action Month. Servicing 18 counties throughout the metropolis, the Houston Meals Financial institution has scheduled situations through September for Houstonians to acquire a stand versus starvation.
“We can all enjoy a function in aiding reduce food insecurity – advocate, teach, volunteer or donate – all 12 months spherical and specifically for the duration of Hunger Motion Thirty day period,” claims Brian Greene, president and CEO of Houston Foodstuff Financial institution. “When we band collectively as a group, every doing our part to set in a piece of the puzzle, big improvements can occur as we get the job done to a world that no lengthier requirements foods banking institutions.”
A lot more than 2,800 volunteers and 150 teams including the Houston Astros Houston Chinese Alliance Houston Methodist-I Treatment in Action and Junior League of Houston have by now scheduled their enable this thirty day period to put together meals products for distribution.
September 1. Local accounting agency BKD, LLP has scheduled 150 volunteers split between 2 shifts (8 a.m. to midday 8:30 a.m. to noon).
September 11. 9/11 7 days of Services and Remembrance at the Houston Foods Lender (8 a.m. to noon). Ten volunteers from the College of Houston and 30 from Comerica Lender have signed up for that working day.
September 14 & 15. Houston Metropolis Hall, the bridges in excess of US 59 and the bridges at IAH airport will be lit up orange–the official colour of hunger aid. Incorporate #hungeractionmonth in your publish if you consider any pics with the radiant structures.
September 17. On the official Starvation Action Day, AmRisc has promised 70 volunteers from 1 to 4 p.m.
September 28. The Houston Astros have scheduled 25 volunteers from 8:30 a.m. to midday.
September 29. United Airways has scheduled 375 volunteers break up between 5 shifts (8 a.m. to noon 8:30 a.m. to noon 1 to 4 p.m. 1:30 to 4 p.m. 6 to 9 p.m.)
Other approaches you can help:
- Donate! Throughout the thirty day period of September, a generous donor to the Houston Food Financial institution will be matching all donations up to $100,000. For every single $1 donated to Houston Food items Lender, they will feed 1 particular person for an full day. To master how to donate go to: https://www.houstonfoodbank.org/.
- Spread recognition online by employing the hashtag #foodforbetterlives in your posts, stories, or tweets.
- Advocate for the Baby Diet Reauthorization monthly bill by speaking with elected officers. The bill is handed each individual 5 a long time to increase child nutrition and faculty meal packages. The current legislation (the Healthier, Starvation-Cost-free Kids Act of 2010) expired in 2015 but carries on to be utilized. Go to the “Advocacy” part on https://www.houstonfoodbank.org/ to learn additional about what you can do.
- “Like” Houston Foods Lender on Facebook and stick to on Twitter and Instagram at @HoustonFoodBank.
- Share starvation specifics on social media to raise consciousness.
- Volunteer at Houston Foodstuff Lender or just one of its member companies.
For additional facts on Houston Meals Bank and Hunger Action Thirty day period, visit houstonfoodbank.org or simply call 713-223-3700.